Tuesday 8 March 2011

What kind of media institution might distribute your media product and why?

What kind of media institution might distribute your media product and why?

I think that IPC (http://www.ipcmedia.com/) would distribute my magazine because they only publish one other music magazine.  My magazine is also generally aimed at both sexes, which is the same as most of the magazines published by IPC, this would increase the circulation. 
My magazine fits with the overall IPC brand catalogue because there is also another music magazine on there. However, my magazine is different to NME as it looks at solo artists, which shows more in depth news about solo artists than other music magazines.
Magazines make their money not just by selling it, but by advertisers. Companies pay the emagazines to advertise their products, and some of the profit made goes to the magazine producers.  To work out how my magazine would make it’s money, I had to produce a rate card.
Rate Card for music magazine
Age: 16-25
60% male readers, 40% Female readers
Magazine Price: £2.50
Monthly magazine
Circulation: 35,000
Cost per full page ad
£7,500
Total adverts
25


Total circulation profit
£87,000


Total Profit from advertisers
£187,500
My magazine would make £87,000 from the circulation per month, as well as £187,500 from it’s advertisers.
My magazine is not aimed at a very large audience, nor a small one, it is somewhere in the middle. The magazines with most audiences are usually the TV listings magazines, which are published mostly by IPC, which could be a problem when it comes to audience size. 
If I chose a different publisher for my magazine, it could create competition with IPC in the sales of their music magazines, however, IPC is the best distributor for me because the others concentrate on mostly either Mens magazines, or Female magazines. My music magazine is aimed at mostly both sexes.

No comments:

Post a Comment